Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Learn more about the cicada:
Draw a picture and write 4 facts learned about cicadas from this link: http://bugfacts.net/cicada.php
Listen to the sounds of cicadas: http://www.cicadamania.com/audio/
Do a word search on cicadas(harder) http://saltthesandbox.org/cicada_hunt/HarderWordSearch.htm
Do a word search on cicadas(easier)
Read a short story, The Ant and the Cicada: http://subhan6.blogspot.com/2003/11/and-cicada.html
Draw the life cycle of a cicada after watching this 2nd grader's presentation onn the life cycle of the ciada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxEUB_cMfs
Pretend you are a cicada. Write a creative writing story telling about a day in your life after you have emerged from the ground after 17 years. What do you see? Hear? Feel? Etc. Include 3 facts learned about cicadas.
* Only the male chirps
* Cicadas have the loudest insect in the world
* Interestingly, all of the cicadas returns are years which are prime numbers.
* A theory suggests the chirping isn't to attract a mate but to "bug" birds and keep them from being eaten.
* Although some people call them locust(a type of grasshopper), cicada aren't!
* Females can lay 400-600 eggs before they die.