Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.

Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.
Click on icon to go to my website: http://www.gailhennessey.com

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Banning Dodge Ball?

A New Hampshire school district has banned the game many of us grew up playing and probably supervised during recess as adults. The school board felt that the game, which involves human targets, is not appropriate. Here's my humble opinion.

Although dodge ball was something I used to play(after my favorite-kickball) and as a teacher,an activity I  used to supervise during recess, I DO agree that perhaps we need to rethink some of the things we do at school and the game of dodge ball is on this list.  

Kids CAN get hurt with a rubber ball(and not a nerf ball) that is usually used. Dodge ball has also been linked to bullying with some students targeted for being hit. Also, the less agile students who fair poorly in dodge ball are often teased. Do we as educators need to encourage such an activity during school hours?

So, personally, I think the New Hampshire school district made the right call on banning activities such as dodge ball from their campus!

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment