Sunday, September 27, 2015
Here is a possible bell ringer to use with your students.
A couple of years ago, a macaque found a camera that had been left unattended. Named Naruto, the monkey started to snap pictures, including a fantastic selfie. The owner of the camera got his camera back and published the photographs. Now, an animal rights organization has filed a lawsuit claiming the photographs are the property of Naruto. PETA says that if the courts rule in favor of the macaque, it will be the first time a right(in this cause, ownership of property) is giving to a non-human animal.
What do you think?
1. Who owns the photographs, the owner of the camera or the monkey? Why?
2. Write a caption for the photograph.
Note: Photograph from news.discovery.com
Tuesday, September 15, 2015
Check out this Preview:
Mes de la Herencia Hispana
National Hispanic Heritage Month!
Gail Skroback Hennessey
National Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated each year from September 15-October 15th. It was originally established, in 1969, as Hispanic Heritage Week, by President Lyndon Johnson. In 1988, it became a month long celebration. Learn some of the contributions made by Hispanic(and Latino )Americans, to our country, with this informative webquest!
1. National Hispanic Heritage Month begins on September 15th to celebration the independence for which five Latin American countries?______________ _________ __________ ___________ and ___________.Which other holiday occurs during National Hispanic Heritage Month?_________ According to the 2010 census( a survey of a population), what percent of people living in the USA are of Hispanic or Latino origin?_________Find the answers at this link: http://www.hispanicheritagemonth.org
2. Perhaps , you’ve heard a mariachi band? This music originated in Mexico. Which music is popular with people who came from Puerto Rico and Cuba?_________Which type of music uses both the accordion and alto saxophone and has roots with German and Czech music?________ From which country, do most people of Hispanic and Latino origin in the United States,come from?_________Which popular condiment( something placed on food to add to the taste) sells better than ketchup in the U.S.A?__________Which green vegetable snack is often served with chips?________Find the answers at this link:
3. Many words in English originated(started)with Spanish words. It is thought that at least_________ English words originated with Spanish words. Oregano, tomato, burrito and taco are examples.Find three words that have to do with cowboys that come from Spanish._________ __________and______________What are three words that came to us from sailors stopping at Caribbean islands?_________ __________ and ____________Which insect’s name comes from a Spanish word?________Find the answers at this link: http://www.factmonster.com/spot/spanishwords1.html
There are 12 web questions, a Did You Know? section, comprehension questions, a Teacher Page with extension activities and the key.
Did You Know?( SAMPLE of some of the facts)
• Before colonists settled Plymouth Colony, there were people living in St. Augustine, Florida, and Sante Fe, New Mexico.
• Chinese(Mandarin) is spoken by the most people in the world. The second most spoken language is Spanish. A close third is…English.
- The majority of Hispanic people in the United States came from the country of Mexico.
- Pedro Flores was the first to mass-produce the yo yo in the United States.
Comprehension Questions:(SAMPLE of some of the questions)
1. Which layer of the atmosphere was affected by chlorofluorocarbons? How is this layer important to us?
2. What is the term for the highest court in the United Sates? Who is the head of this court?
Define and place in a sentence: census, architecture, condiment, customs, luminaries, piñata.
Have students in small groups work on the web quest. Regroup and discuss the web quest.
Have groups make 7 true or false questions to exchange with another group to answer as a review.
Extension Activities: (SAMPLE OF SOME of the ACTIVITIES)
1. Fun online activities: Play Paco’s Passport http://pbskids.org/mayaandmiguel/english/games/passport/index.html
2. Game from Mexico: Toma Todo: http://teacher.scholastic.com/activities/hispanic/act_tomatodo.htm
3. Read a Hispanic folkstory: http://www.worldoftales.com/European_folktales/Romanic_folktale_2.html The Ugly Princess or http://www.worldoftales.com/European_folktales/Romanic_folktale_2.html The Bear-Prince, The Gypsy queen and the Forbidden Chamber. (from Mexico)
4. El Chupacabra, is a mythical creature. Write 5 descriptive phrases to describe a chupacabra. Draw/color a picture. Write a day in the life of a chupacabra. http://www.kidzworld.com/article/2151-el-chupacabra
Notes: Illustration from: https://openclipart.org
Thank you for purchasing this resource! Please check out my other webquests/reader’s theater scripts and units of study(world history): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Gail-Hennessey
Monday, September 14, 2015
The migration has begun. ,Each September Monarch butterflies begin a 3000 mile journey, of about three months, from Canada and the United States to their destination-Mexico. Sadly, the monarch butterfly numbers are diminishing. Just 15 years ago, there were an estimated one billion orange/black butterflies. Today, scientists say there are less than 30 million. One main reason for less monarch butterflies is a pesticide that is used today. It kills weeds and it also kills a plant called milkweed. Milkweed is the only plant that a monarch butterfly uses to lay their eggs. It is also the only food of the Monarch caterpillar. The lepidoptera(name for butterflies) need our help. People are being encouraged to plant more milkweed plants along the routes that Monarchs follow on their migration south. Trying to use less pesticides would help, too.
Draw/color a picture of a monarch butterfly. Write a day in the life of a monarch. What do you see? Hear? Feel? Touch? as you migrate toward Mexico for the winter.
Discuss the Japanese poem, Haiku. Three lines, syllables 5/7/5. Write a Haiku about a Monarch Butterfly.
Review prior knowledge on why butterflies are important.Review the information at this site: http://bc-europe.eu/upload/Why%20butterflies%20and%20moths%20are%20important%203.pdf on the importance of butterflies. Make a poster and include 3 facts learned.
http://www.primarygames.com/puzzles/jigsaw/butterfly/ or http://www.kidzone.ws/animals/butterflypuzzle.htm (jigsaw puzzle of a butterfly)
Note: Photograph from wpclipart.com
Check out my teaching resources(webquests/reader’s theater scripts: https://www.pinterest.com/gailhennessey/gails-tpt-store-social-studies-emporiumand-more/