Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.

Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.
Click on icon to go to my website: http://www.gailhennessey.com

Friday, April 11, 2014

I love books and I love the idea of a library. Going to a library ( or downloading books from my library service) brings the world to me. I can travel to remote destinations, explore the oceans, time-travel back in history to the Russian Revolution or the historic first flight of the Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk. Books are wonderful. So, I am glad to see with all the different  holidays that day a year, we celebrate our library system. National Library Day is  April 15th. Make sure you take time to pick up a book or stop by your local library and reflect on what a wonderful place, the library is...Imagine,free books for the borrowing! And, if you are a teacher, this would be a great day to encourage all your students(if they don't already have one) to obtain a library card at their local library.

In addition to National Library Day on April 15th,  Library of Congress Day is April 24th. The Library of Congress is "our Nation's Library" and has over 33 million books. There are also over 12.5 million photographs and 6 million pieces of sheet music! 
I've developed a fun/informative web quest you might find of value to share with your students. Learn more about the Nation's Library with informative webquest. Great informational text/research skill activity or as a Friday or just before Spring Break activity!  

Check it out: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Library-of-Congress-Explore-Our-Nations-LibraryWebquest-604584




No comments:

Post a Comment