Wednesday, February 22, 2017
Lawmakers would like a Statue of Harriet Tubman at the U.S. Capitol(In the News/Possible Interactive Notebook Activity)
Did You Know?
1. In 2016, the Treasury Secretary announced that the $20 bill will be updated with the face of Harriet Tubman. The current face on the $20 bill is President Andrew Jackson.
2. Harriet Tubman escaped from slavery in 1849. She continued to return about 13 different times bringing slaves to freedom on the Underground Railroad. Her last trip was in 1860. It is believed that Tubman helped over 300 slaves to freedom along the Underground Railroad.
3. Probably the most famous conductor on the Underground Railroad, a bounty of $40,000 was offered for Tubman’s capture! In today’s world, that would have been approximately $600,000! Other conductors on the Undergroud Railroad included John Fairfield, Frederick Douglass and Levi Coffin.
4. Harriet Tubman’s nickname of “Moses” was given by Abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison.
5. During the Civil War, Harriet Tubman worked as a nurse,, spy and soldier!
6. Harriet Tubman worked with James Montgomery and helped lead an armed expedition during the Civil War. The Combahee River Raids helped free hundreds of slaves in South Carolina.
7. After the Civil War, Harriet Tubman worked for women’s rights. She also worked to establish African Americans’ rights and set up a home for elderly African Americans.
8. Having been a soldier during the Civil War, it took thirty-four years for Harriet Tubman to receive a small veteran’s pension.
9. Did you know that there is an asteroid named in Harriet Tubman’s honor?
10. The SS Harriet Tubman was launched in 1944, by the United States Maritime Commission. It was the first liberty ship named for an African-American woman!
11. In 1978, the United States Postal Service honored Harriet Tubman with a stamp.
1. Do you think Harriet Tubman should have a statue in the Capitol Building? Write a paragraph explaining your position.
2. Illustrate one of the facts about Harriet Tubman.
3. Write 3 facts you know about the Underground Railroad.