Sunday, May 18, 2014
Using the News in the Classroom(Bell Ringer)
Barry Clifford,an underwater explorer, says he thinks he's made an amazing discovery. He believes he has found the wreckage of the Santa Maria. Yes, the boat of Christopher Columbus used on his voyage in 1492 to sail "the ocean blue". The 500 year old ship sank off the coast of the island of Haiti. Resting about 10-15 feet below the surface, it was first discovered in 2003. At the time, there was also 15th century cannon near the wreckage, which has since gone missing. Clifford has used journals from Christopher Columbus to try and get information on sinking of the Santa Maria, on Christmas Day, in 1492. He hopes to bring the ship to the survive in the coming months.
1. How do you think exploration changed the world in positive ways? negative ways?
2. What would be several REAL dangers Columbus and other sailors could face on the seas?
3. What were some of the imagined dangers that sailors believed could happen to them on the seas?
4.What in history might you like to see discovered?
1. Draw a sea monster and state three reasons why you think people believed in sea monsters.
2. Write a diary entry pretending you were a sailor on one of Columbus’s ships and tell about one of your days.
Did You Know:
* Columbus used his knowledge of an eclipse to scare the natives in Jamaica.
* Columbus took tobacco and slaves back to the King and Queen of Spain.
* Columbus brought horses to the new world on his second voyage.
* Columbus believed there were gold digging ants.
* All crew took an oath to agree with Columbus that he had found Japan and were close to China!
* Columbus noticed natives sleeping a "hammocks". It was an idea that became "beds" aboard sailing ships.
Photograph from news.nationalpost.com