Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.

Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.
Click on icon to go to my website: http://www.gailhennessey.com

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

TEACHING KIDS THAT THEY HAVE A HISTORY USING THEIR FAVORITE CHILDHOOD TOY

When you think of your childhood, does one toy or stuffed animal or other item, comes to mine?  Mine was Pinkie. Pinkie is beige(so go figure the name I chose as a little girl). My mom had to sew her eyes and nose back on a number of times and the stuffing got squashed when I dropped it in the street and a car ran after it before my dad heroically rescued Pinkie for me.  


In the beginning of the school year, I'd take Pinkie from her protective plastic bag resting in a memory box in the attic, bring her to class and start an activity to show kids that each of them has their own history. My 6th graders usually giggled seeing me holding my favorite childhood toy but they soon got into the activity.
What was YOUR favorite childhood toy?
Why was it so important to you?
Who gave it to you?
Describe what it looked like.
What became of your favorite Childhood toy?

Now, take the information you wrote down and write a paragraph on you favorite childhood toy.

Many of my 6th graders that still had their favorite childhood toy asked if they could bring it to class to show as they volunteered to read their paragraphs.

Do you have a favorite childhood toy? What was it? Love to see you share your comments.
Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment