Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.

Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.
Click on icon to go to my website: http://www.gailhennessey.com

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Science to be Dropped from 5th Grade Curriculum???????????????




A colleague of mine just told me that in September, the fifth grade will not be offering the  teaching of science. I am totally shocked. The students will have LA, Math and Social Studies but science will not be a subject taught! I hope that when parents hear about this change, they will question and demand its inclusion back into the 5th grade curriculum. Critical thinking, problem solving,experimentation, learning about the universe, the oceans, microbes and, just the world in which we live are just some of the things that science brings to mind. I just don't understand how a school can rationalize doing away with the teaching of science in 5th grade. Any comments?
Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment