Monday, February 4, 2013
BLACK HISTORY MONTH WEBQUEST/RESOURCES
Gail Skroback Hennessey
Try my Martin Luther King Webquest: Free:http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Martin-Luther-King-Webquest
What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Langston Hughes (1902-1967)
The idea to foster contributions of African Americans began with Dr. Carter G. Woodson who first organized a two week period of time in February which he called “Negro History Week. The time...1926. In 1976, the month of February as a time to highlight the contributions of African Americas. Dr. Woodson’s motto,“It is never too late to Learn”.
Can you name some famous African Americans who contributed to our country in arts,music, civil rights, sports, literature, politics,science and technology? Perhaps, you know the names of Martin Luther King, Jr, Harriet Tubman, George Washington Carver, Frederick Douglas, and Sojourner Truth. Do you know who Charles Drew was? BB King? Rosa Parks? There are so very many African Americans that have made contributions to our world. Try this webquest and learn about a few of these important people. Use the resources listed below to learn even more...
1. Robert H. Lawrence, Jr., would have been the first African American astronaut but sadly, he died in a training accident in the 1960s. In 1983, Guion Bluford was the first African American to travel into space. Dr. Mae C. Jemison, a surgeon, in 1992, became the first African American female astronaut. In addition to speaking these three languages__________ ,_____________ and ___________Dr. Jemison appeared on which television show?______________. What did she start in Chicago to spark interest in space among children?___________________Find the answers at this link: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/explorers/page/j/jemison.shtml
2. How did singer Marian Anderson make history?________________Why did First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt resign from the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1939? Find the answers at this link: http://www.cnn.com/EVENTS/black_history/29days.html
3. During the 1920s, Jazz became very popular. Where did Jazz music originate?_____________What are two words that came from this period of time?___________and _________. Who was the famous jazz musician, nicknamed Pops and Satchmo?_________Which instrument did heplay?_____________Find the answers at this
4. Another type of music that African Americans developed was called Blues. As the word implies, the words to this type of music were often sad. BB King is often called the King of the Blues. From where did blues music originate?____________What are “blue notes’ also called?___________ FInd the answers at this link: http://music.lovetoknow.com/Where_Did_The_Blues_Originate
Did you know?
• Thomas L. Jennings, is believed to be the first African American to receive a patent for an invention.
• Judy W. Reed patented a hand-operated machine for kneading and rolling dough. She is thought to be the first African-American woman to do so.
• Sarah Boone patented the collapsible ironing board in 1892
More resources you might find helpful:
Want the entire webquest(1-12) and all the trivia and resources?Check out my materials posted here:
Note: Although I have tried to review each link for this webquest, please check the site to see if it is appropriate for your grade level. Also, please monitor that students stay at the link. Should you find something questionable, please let me know. Thanks!