Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.

Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.
Click on icon to go to my website: http://www.gailhennessey.com

Monday, August 16, 2021

Freelance Writings: Some thoughts

                                                          



                           Writing for Children

In my opinion, writing for children has gotten more difficult than when I began 30 years ago. Again, in my opinion. To date, I have written over 35 books for children and 8 books for teachers. I used to write for over twenty different magazines (many for Scholastic including Jr. Scholastic, Super Science, Action, Scholastic News and others). I was a regular contributor to Scholastic News Online and Time for Kids. Many of the different children’s publications have ceased using freelance writers and/or have folded. I continue to write for several magazines(especially Highlights for Children,Jack and Jill Magazine and Boys’ Life). I enjoy writing for children very much.  


Some have asked how I started writing professionally. Over 35 years ago, I found little to introduce my 6th graders on the topic of economic education and being a wise consumer. So, I wrote up short stories and activities on the topic. I decided to TRY and sell my book, “How to Buy a Dragon and other Economic Concepts”. It took over 14 rejections before I found a publisher who had faith in my idea and published the book. 


My very first magazine article became the COVER for Dynamite Scholastic Magazine. Back then (1980s), I thought claymation was pretty interesting and I got an interview with Will Vinton and his California Raisin. I called the editor(after researching who that was) and actually got her on the telephone. She politely said she really didn’t take freelance, using staff writers, instead. I continued to ask if I could send the story along saying I really thought kids would find the article very interesting. (BELIEVE in yourself) She said to send it along but couldn’t promise me much. A couple of days later, she called me and it was to be the cover story! I went on to be a regular writer for the magazine. 


Suggestions:

Find a topic which interests you and that might not have been covered. I look for unique, out of the ordinary. If the topic interests me...maybe, it will interest others, too. For example, Katherine Sullivan, the first person on the planet to go into space AND down into the Mariana Trench or the photographer that spent over 23 months working with penguins in Antarctica. I find people are more than willing to share their passions or accomplishments with me. I learn SO much fascinating things interviewing people on their passions!


In MY opinion, do NOT write for publishing companies that charge YOU to publish the book. Such books are rarely found in book stores(although, today, you probably can sell them on platforms such as Amazon). I would rather someone have faith in my concept and pay me. In MY experience, although I get royalties for several of my books, these days, most companies give a flat fee(and no royalties). 


I also have found that you don’t need to worry about illustrations. If a publisher wants your manuscript, they also will have an illustrator that they will use for your book(Ie: Mrs. Paddington and the Silver Mouse Traps and Fashion Rules! by Red Chair Press).


For magazine articles, again, write what INTERESTS you, such articles will most definitely come through more interesting to others. 


Do you need an agent? Thus, far, I have not used an agent but I would like to have one for companies such as Scholastic that do not accept manuscripts for anyone who doesn't have one. I need to look into this aspect of writing.


Do your HOMEWORK. Review different publishing companies to see whether your idea is something they publish. Same for children’s magazine. Do your homework and research what topics they cover. Find the NAMES of editors and send/call them.


DON’T give UP!!!! I continue to get rejections. Just because Red Chair Press published 2 of my books, they went on to not be interested in several newer manuscripts.


Hope these thought help those of you interested in writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment