Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.

Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.
Click on icon to go to my website: http://www.gailhennessey.com

Thursday, August 15, 2019

Decorating the Classroom- Helpful or a Distraction?

Importance of decorating your classroom

I read a recent study by researchers from Carnegie Mellon University that a decorated room is distracting and  can negatively impact the learning of our students. Although they don’t say teachers should go to a bare classroom, it is suggested that teachers think about whether “some of their visas displays may be distracting to young children.” 
See link: https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/releases/heavily-decorated-classrooms-disrupt-attention-and-learning-in-young-children.html The study involved a group of 24 kindergartners so this may also be different for middle school students, 6th graders being where I spent my teaching career.

I truly believe that a classroom should be an inviting place. Yes, we have lots and lots of responsibilities placed upon, and it seems more and more each year but  I think "bare" walls are not something you should have in your classroom. So, especially for new teachers....I say decorate your room, even if you teach high school! 

I believe that displaying world landmarks of places I have visited stimulate kids to ask about places in the world. Inspirational quotes are there for them to look at and quietly reflect upon. I always displayed things relating to the current unit of study in history. Additionally, I displayed great unit test performances and also included an area of most improved for the five weeks. There were articles about current events posted in the room as well as an area of personal things such as my 6th grade report card and my 6th grade photograph, and, of course,  photographs of my husband. I also had bears, all sorts and sizes and all things purple displayed near my desk area.

My thoughts are that a classroom is our home away from home and I wanted mine to be inviting not only to the students but me, too.  I always believed that students, if they weren’t interested in what I might be saying, might find SOMETHING of interest with the many visuals displayed in my classroom.

What are your thoughts?

THIS?



or


THIS?



THIS?

or
THIS?




THIS?

No comments:

Post a Comment