Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.

Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.
Click on icon to go to my website: http://www.gailhennessey.com

Saturday, June 15, 2019




Wishing those of you who are now on Summer Break a very relaxing time. As someone that taught for 33 1/2 years, the very first FULL day of vacation was always the beginning of possibilities of things to do that I didn't get to do during the school year. In fact, I remember dreading the alarm clock going off at 6AM during the school year yet during the summer, I gleefully got up at 6AM because the day was all mine! I wanted to seize every bit of the day.  Enjoy each and every day of your vacation. It will go too quickly!  Read a book, garden, listen to music, take a pottery class, visit with friends and family, try a new recipe, take a trip, sit by the pool(or visit someone who has one), binge watch a series(so many great ones on Netflix! See below) and most importantly, take a break from thinking about school! Really! Even if it is only for a couple of weeks, place thinking about your classroom on hold for just a wee bit!

For those of you who have school or summer school during  July and August, I will continue to update my blog posting as well as my website for teachers/kids(http://www.gailhennessey.com). Please continue to check in as you may find something of value to use with your students!

Gail

Recommendations of shows to Binge watch on Netflix:

Safe(Harlan Corbin) Kept me guessing until the end.
The Five(Harlan Corbin) Very Good mystery!
Midsomer Murders( Amazing how many murders take place in the villages of England!)
Murdoch Mysteries(Historical mysteries that will make you look up some information!)
Doctor Blake Mysteries
Longmire
Father Brown
Death in Paradise (Think Columbo in Paradise)
Doc Martin(Love Cornwall, England, where this quirky doctor series is filmed)
The Crown
Turn
Call the Midwife(awesome)Really...I didn't think I would like it and I am hooked.
Poirot
Broadchurch(powerful police story told in several season)
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries(1920 flapper solves mysteries in Australia) It is being made into a movie!

Acorn TV:
Good Karma Hospital(two seasons so far). Very GOOD!
800 Words
Vera
Brokenwood Mysteries
Queen of Mystery
Agatha Raisin



Recent Books I have enjoyed which I'd recommend:

Joanne Goodman: The Home for Unwanted Girls and The Finishing School were very good.

Hazel Gaynor: The Girl that Came Home, The Girl from the Savoy A Memory of Violet and more.

Pamela Flavey's books about Ireland: The Linen Queen, The Yellow House and The Girls of Ennismore.

Lexi Elliott's The French Girl 

Diane Chamberlian's books: I enjoyed The Dream Daughter and The Silent Sister.

Ruth Wares's books.

Karen White's books.

Melanie Dobson's books(most set in World War 2) are all excellent.
Try Chateau of Secrets and Shadows of Ladenbrooke Manor.

Patricia McDonald's Books-GREAT!

Fiona Davis' Books: The Address, The Doll House-great stories and you learn about the Barbizon Hotel for Women and The Dakota. The Masterpiece shares the history of Grand Central Terminal.

All Sarah Jio books are great!(Most take place in two eras and are intertwined by the end.)

Pam Jenoff: Wow, I really like her historical books(mostly set in WW2-at least the one's I've read: Check out The Orphan's Tale and the Diplomate's Wife. 


Note: Illustration from wpclipart.com

1 comment: