Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.

Thanks to Education World for use of my Mrs. Waffenschmidt illustration.
Click on icon to go to my website: http://www.gailhennessey.com

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

How will the Common Core Impact the teaching of Social Studies...I am worried!

In New York State, 6th grade social studies is world cultures. Here are the subjects that I taught during the school year. Wondering what is covered in 6th grade in other states. What do you teach in social studies at other grade levels?

Map skills
Prehistoric Man
Customs/customs of the world
Mesopotamian-First Historic people(also covered other groups in the region including the Phoenicians)
Ancient Egypt
Greeks
Romans
Middle Ages
Introduced civilization of China and Japan(around Chinese New Year time)
Rise of Europe
Introduced civilization of India
If, time, did a short unit on Economics at the end of the year.

With each culture, I also included the present day country, did current events and tried to make connections to the past and their lives today. With each unit, I tried to include an art project, listened to the culture's music(usually during map work),tried having the kids sample a food, wrote in their writing system,listened to a story from the culture, etc. 

I can see the point that with the common core, all states and students in the same grade will cover the same materials. This would be helpful, especially if you live in a district with lots of kids moving in during the school year from other states who may not have been covering the same curriculum. However, I really fear with the Common Core approach which seems to have everyone teaching the same on the same day and no time for variation from the lesson, that social studies class just won't have the time to do these activities ,many of which the kids really enjoyed and got some sparked to learn more about the topic. I am very worried about how the common core will impact negatively  the kids in a subject I so very much loved to teach!!!!!

Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment